- Established in September 24, 1999 as one of the flagship programs of DOST and formerly known as the Packaging R&D Center (PRDC). In August 2009, the PRDC was formalized as a Division under ITDI and is now known as the Packaging Technology Division (PTD).
- Provide packaging assistance to SMEs systematically and comprehensively through world class, innovative, and sustainable packaging technology towards global competitiveness.
- Promote national branding through packaging to enhance the competitive position of Philippine products for the export market.
- Develop packaging for ethnic foods, enhance regional packaging capability, and create livelihood via community-based packaging projects to support regional/countryside development.
- Develop ready-to-eat foods in appropriate packaging as disaster/survival foods.